8.15.2012

Guest Post: Ronnie Bertino

The legendary Mr. Butts lists his all-time favorite flicks.


**the Chrome Butts Incident**


This Alva ad sticks out to me because I always thought they just look like a bunch of hooligans in leather jackets who would kick your ass if they showed up to your local skatespot. I had the honor of skating for Alva and I can’t remember how old I was but actually took a road trip with a few of the older dudes out to Arizona. Here I was this young kid rolling in an astrovan with these dudes and they’re were opening the side door after smoking a joint so the car wouldn’t smell like weed if we got pulled over. Funny Shit.


I have a top 4 all-time favorites and it is Natas, Hensley, Gonz and Ray Barbee. This ad of Natas just oozes style. I think I had about 8 or 9 of those decks.

Natas hands down is one of the greats and should have received a Legends award a long time ago. 


Nothing more to say other than Gonz style, through and through.

This ad always sticks out because of how old it is and how dude has always been taking it to the next level in every era he’s been in. A normal street plant would have been considered good for this ad but here he took it to a parking block and bent that back leg like no one else could. Classic Gonz. 


Matt was always ahead of the game. As a kid, I had the honor of hanging with him during a demo in a town over from where I lived. It was Hensley, Ortega, Brennand Schoeffel, Gonz and Jason Lee who did the demo and afterwards, myself and a buddy asked Matt if we could catch a ride. I remember he said, “No problem.”

I remember them blasting NWA and I just trippin that I was somewhat hanging with someone that I looked up to and admired. 


This photo of Matt had my friends and I get into a car and search San Diego freeways trying to find the overpass. We finally found out where it was from someone and when we saw it in person, there was no way in hell we were gonna try it.


To me, this sequence represents a lot. I ended up riding for Plan B at the time when Matt was still involved and was pretty much blown away at the fact that I was blessed enough to ride on the same team as my idol in addition to him being my team manager. 

This sequence is bittersweet cause it’s not too long after this that he decided to move on and go to Chicago to become an EMT. I was just stoked that when he came back and took over being team manager, I was able to do a month long tour with him and get to know a person that I thought at one time was superhuman. He is one of the coolest, most-talented people and I am honored to have been able to spend time with the person I looked up to so much. Not everyone can say they got that opportunity. 


Not much more needs to be said other than Cardiel is a fuckin ripper. Watching him skate live is pretty much as good as it gets. The fact that he came back from his spinal injury and is riding his bikes and still pushing around here and there just shows what kind of determination the dude has. Nothing but respect for him. 


Style? Yeah, Julien skated better than anyone and made just cruising seem like the funnest thing to do (it is, actually). I remember trying to hunt down the Vans in this picture… I had to have the shoes but could only wish for style like that.


I don’t know about you but I had to have every Powell video that came out. The Search For Animal Chin was played at my house everyday before skating and every night before I went to bed. I was always stoked on the SF part with Jesse Martinez, Tommy Guerrero and Cab launch ramping it in the park. One of the sickest videos ever.


 
One of my favorites, dude glided on the board and just made it look so damn fun to cruise down the street and do a no-comply. I’m kind of trippin he hasn’t received a Legends award either. 

If you’ve ever met Ray he is one of the nicest people ever. I remember Kareem Campbell and myself went to one of those Powell sleepovers in Goleta at the indoor park. The last 3 people skating that night was Kareem and I and Ray Barbee. We skated until we fell asleep on the course. Another moment in my life that I will never forget. 

-Ronnie 

special thanks to jon constantino and ronnie for taking the time. 

be back monday. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't know if you still want them but I found your "vans" in black

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-Skateboard-Surfing-Retro-VISION-STREET-WEAR-Shoes-80s-RARE-/160861936129?pt=AU_Skateboarding&hash=item25741e5a01

Great post, never saw the Gonz ad before. Classics from a classic, can't beat it. Chrome ball is my homepage. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Me-O-Mi-O!

Anonymous said...

that Hensley bs noseblunt sequence has stoked me out!

Keith said...

Great guest post!

yeah... I thought those shoes in the Julien fullpipe pic were Vision Street Wears. Super sick photo.

So many good Hensley ones. bs nb slide back then was bonkers!

In the first pic, the one with SLB and Kareem in the background, the bs shifty missing.

Bertino has super good opinions on skateboarders. For me, he was one of my favourites. Only saw little snippets here and there in montages until 2nd hand smoke came out.

Anonymous said...

Really cool stories Ronnie...Let's us normal people know what boring lives we have been living. How are things at ATM? I hope your still pushing.

Skately said...

Great stuff! Julien's ollie in that tight little pipe is timeless. And that Ray Barbee ad really brought back some memories. That was the 1st rail I ever ollied onto, and must have spent half the day there trying to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Skately, why the loss of the 411's on your site?

Anonymous said...

@ the last anonymous:
Skateboarder Magazine have started an archive of 411 videos with bonus interviews:
http://www.skateboardermag.com/411vm/

Anonymous said...

the guest posts rock! i really enjoy them as they give a completely different perspective to the images we see in mags. keep rolling!

Anonymous said...

Bertino super tight hella tight ! I had that Think video with him in it super raw skating. Talk about another skater ahead of his time. I also got to meet him in Carlsbad back in the day, I thought he was a cool cat and his part in Second Hand Smoke was sick. Thanks for this and all the rad ads it really brings me back.

Anonymous said...

Too many safe picks. Boring post.

Anonymous said...

i'm amazed at the VSW/Vans confusion

Anonymous said...

I want to hear the story of the Planet Earth ad with the noseslide nollie heelflip and how it ended up in the XYZ video a few years later. Was there a PE Bertino part that never got released?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ronnie for a great post, and years of great skateboarding !!! Looking forward to more Bertino / Chrome Ball collabo's

Anonymous said...

damn, you from santa ana skately?